Greetings and welcome to the website of the Sacramento Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated.
My name is Linda D. White and it is my honor and distinct pleasure to serve as Chapter President for Sorority Year 2015-2017
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated was founded on January 13, 1913 on the campus of Howard University by 22 dynamic and inspirational, college educated women. This sorority is based on Christian principles. These women were change agents by being actively involved and standing firm on their belief. This boldness to be involved spread nation-wide hence chapters now exist throughout this country.
The Sacramento Alumnae Chapter was chartered in 1973 with one of its major objectives being reclamation of in-active members and also keeping in line with Grand Chapter. These objectives and other remains true now in the year of 2015.
I created this acronym S-S-S-A-C stands for Sacramento Sorors showing their Allegiance to Commitment
The Sacramento Alumnae Chapter displays it commitment to by staying aligned with the sorority’s Five Point Programmatic Thrust: Economic Development, Educational Development, International Awareness and Involvement, Physical and Mental Health, and Political Awareness and Involvement.
This chapter has programs and events under each thrust:
E – Economic Development
- Debt Challenge – host workshops to assist with striving to save money and to become financially savvy with our money.
- We patronage Black-owned businesses throughout the city of Sacramento
E – Educational Development
- Various scholarships are provided to graduating high school seniors, one collegiate soror and a college attendee who is the head of their household
- Mentor groups
I – International Awareness and Involvement
- Support of National projects in Africa
- Support of various organizations in the city whose mission is to assist International causes
P – Physical and Mental Health
- Raise awareness on healthy living by incorporating a nutrition, exercise and increased water consumption into our diets
- Inform and increase awareness of the many mental health challenges that exist in the world and how to deal with them
P – Political Awareness and Involvement
- Provide information and increase education on political issues that affect our city and the citizens of this city
- Raise our support effort in this area as well
As you can see by the list I provided this chapter remains to be committed not only locally but regionally and nationally.
To host these events, there has to be some kind of financial support. So, I encourage you to take some time to review our website for it is updated on a regular basis with current events. You can also follow us via Facebook and Instagram.
Some of the goals for this biennium are to partner not only with fellow Greek organizations of the Pan Hellenic Council but to form partnerships with other organizations throughout the city who have similar goals and objectives and with political representatives who assist with the decision making for our great city.
I would like to leave this quote with you, “We Are Better Together than Apart”.
I hope I have provided information to you will assist with knowing our wonderful chapter. You can contact us anytime.
Thank you and have a great day!!