Dr. Jeanne L. Noble, our 12th National President of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. was a legendary pioneer in the field of education. The Delta GEMS Program, officially renamed The Dr. Jeanne L. Noble Delta GEMS Institute, continues to spotlight teenage girls between the ages of 14-18 in grades 9 through 12.
The Delta GEMS Institute is a continuum of services from the Dr. Betty Shabazz Delta Academy that addresses the needs of young African American women with a framework for the participants to discover and understand their individual brilliance by embracing the AIMS of the GEMS theme “Growing & Empowering Myself Successfully “.
The Delta G.E.M.S. Youth Initiative is designed for:
- Young women ages 14-18 who are in Grades 9 through 12
- Young women who have potential but need guidance, support and skills to achieve success
- Young women who are interested in developing leadership skills
- Young women who are actively pursuing college and/or career options
- Young women who need encouragement and support in pursuit of higher learning
- Young women identified by authorized partners of Delta chapters and/or former Delta Academy participants
The GOALS for Delta GEMS are:
- To instill the need to excel academically.
- To provide tools that enable girls to sharpen and enhance their skills to achieve high levels of academic success.
- To assist girls in proper goal setting and planning for their futures high school and beyond.
- To create compassionate, caring, and community minded young women and actively involve them in service advocacy and community service opportunities.
For the 2016-2017 program year, the GEMS will meet on the following dates at Sacramento State University, Mendocino Hall, Room 1026 (unless otherwise indicated) from 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.:
- Saturday, October 8, 2016: 2016-2016: Orientation
- Saturday, November 12, 2016: Healthy Lifestyles
- Saturday, December 10, 2016: Self-Esteem – New Year, New Me
- Saturday, January 14, 2017: Community Service Project – Location TBD
- Saturday, February 11, 2017: College Tour
- Saturday, March 25, 2017: Youth State at the Capitol
- Saturday, April 8, 2017: Financial Literacy
- Saturday, May 13, 2017: Disaster Preparedness
- Saturday, June 10, 2017: End-of-Year Banquet
If interested, please contact the Delta GEMS Chairs for more information.